Thursday, September 07, 2006

Of course I go by bike!

I am living 15 minutes walking to the University. Many people walk, but having lived in Denmark, I had to get a bike! There are not many people coming by bike, they come by public transportation, live on campus, or come by car. Here in the right, is a picture of the street I need to go every day. The fence at the left is part of the University. My apartment complex is somewhere behind the big skyscraper (312 meters).

Georgia Tech is somewhat similar to University of Aalborg, is a technical school, and around the same percentage of students are in engineering degrees. I am supposed to take classes around the subjects of Science and Technology, Innovation. There are many options to choose, and I enrolled in 4 classes. Our program is under the Public Policy department/school, instead of the Economics as is in Aalborg. So they offer many interesting classes about Public Policy. The classes that I took are: Science, Technology and Public Policy; Technology, Innovation & Policy; Public Policy Analysis, and finally Economics of Innovation. The classes here are interesting, and somewhat different from Aalborg (I am not saying that the classes in Aalborg are not interesting!).


In the class of Economics of Innovation, we are addressing the question, “The relationship between Innovation and Economic Growth”. The teacher is from Spain (like me!). There are 12 people in class, many of them PhD students, (as we can mix here in this school). There are only 2 Americans, 6 East Asians, and the rest from other places. Anyways, we are looking at different economic approaches, Classical, Neo-classical (formulas, models, etc…), and today we went over the Evolutionary approach. It really surprised that the people in class were really unrelated with these theories! They were all very interested. The teacher asked some questions, and for the first time in that class, I felt in a very good position (probably the best). I am very grateful to have attended at Aalborg, which has given me a very good perspective of economics, and not only the mainstream models.


In the next classes we are going to look also at the National Systems of Innovation approach. One lecture in the chapter is from Lundvall, how cool, right! Yesterday in another class, we quickly looked at an article from Bjorn Johnson about institutions.


I remember Ana Luiza (another student at Aalborg) told me that our School was much respected in many places. Now I can see that a lot.


Why Georgia Tech students cryed this last weekend? Georgia Tech lost against the University of Notre-Dame 14-10.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlinhos,

see, AAU is well known in this S&T&I field!!

I am glad you are having such a nice experience in Georgia Tech. The classes seem really cool and interesting. It will definetely enrich your curriculum!

good luck with everything!

besos,
Ana Luiza

18 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home